Millions of women in the US are putting up with hormonal imbalance, whether it’s symptoms from early perimenopause, menopause, perimenopausal weight changes, premenstrual symptoms (PMS). Let’s take a more in-depth look at the symptoms of hormonal imbalance and how you can treat it.
In This Article:
- What Is Hormonal Imbalance?
- What Are the Symptoms of Hormonal Imbalance?
- What Are the Causes?
- Why Should You Get HRT?
Symptoms of Hormonal Imbalance and Treatment
What Is Hormonal Imbalance?
First and foremost, let’s give you a better understanding of what hormones and hormonal imbalance are. Hormones are the chemical messengers in your body produced in the endocrine glands, which travel around the bloodstream, telling your organs and tissues what they need to do.
Hormonal imbalance is when you have too little or too much of a particular hormone. Even the smallest changes can create a significant impact on the functioning of your whole body.
What Are the Symptoms of Hormonal Imbalance?
For females in the reproductive age, the most common hormonal imbalance is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). Besides that, these are the signs and symptoms of hormonal imbalance:
- Acne. Your face is the place where the symptoms of hormonal imbalance appear first. Your skin will break into zits, pimples are constant, and your typical treatments won’t have any effect on them.
- Mood Swings. The female sex hormone estrogen can affect the brain’s neurotransmitters, which include serotonin (a mood-boosting chemical). Due to your hormones’ fluctuation, your mood is also affected by it; you may feel happy, upbeat and depressed, anxious a minute later.
- Vaginal dryness. The hormonal changes can cause the vaginal wall to be thin, leading to fewer cells secreting moisture resulting in dryness.
- Fatigue. The amount of progesterone can make a huge difference, and too little can make it hard for you to sleep. Too much can lead to your tiredness.
- Weight gain. This is probably the most apparent symptom of hormonal imbalance. The weight gained can reach a surprising number in a short time. And most of the weight gained will likely focus on the hips, waist, and thigh.
- Depression and anxiety. Along with mood swings come two of the most horrible results of hormonal imbalance. Constant worries only worsen the effects of the changes in your hormone levels.
What Are the Causes?
The cause can differ depending on which glands or hormones are being affected. Some of the common causes such as:
- Eating disorders
- Cancer treatment like chemotherapy
Other health condition such as:
- Addison’s disease
- Cushing syndrome (high levels of cortisol in the body)
- Hormone drugs
Why Should You Get HRT?
Just like the causes, the treatment for this condition varies depending on the cause. But one of the most considerably effective treatments is Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT). This is an excellent solution for relieving symptoms of hormonal imbalance. This replaces the hormones at a lower or higher level, which causes the symptoms you’re suffering from.
These are some reasons to get HRT:
- HRT will improve libido. It will not only increase your overall well-being and get back in the game.
- HRT stops hot flashes and night sweats that have been affecting your sleep and your sexual activities.
- HRT improves skin texture which helps you regain that beautiful glowing skin you lost.
- Estrogen replacement is excellent for thickening up your vaginal wall and moisturizing it, which gives you back your lubrication.
- HRT is safe to use.
You don’t have to quietly suffer from the discomfort that the symptoms of hormonal imbalance bring. Get HRT to help you solve your problem, but you should always consult with your doctor to see whether and which treatment is best for you.