Follow these healthy hacks to have a smarter, healthier, and tastier 2019!
In this article:
- Drink Water in the Morning
- Have Some Flavor in Your Water
- Make a Fruit of Veggie Smoothie in the Morning
- Freeze the Fruits Overnight
- Tie Your Keys to Your Shoelaces
- Soothe Muscles with Epsom Salts
- Clean the House to Burn Calories
- Use the Park as an Outdoor Gym
- Pour Protein Powder After Water
- Meal Prep to Save Time
- Use Spices for Weight Loss
- Count Micro and Macronutrients
- Cut Back on Caffeine
- Use a Foam Roller to Relax the Muscles
- Do More Physical Activities
- Get More Sunshine
- Check the Menu Before Going
- Store Healthy Snacks at Work
- Walk as Much as You Can
- Pace Yourself During Meals
- Take Time to Relax
- Enjoy Healthier Desserts
- Get Help from a Trainer
- Separate Wet and Dry Ingredients
- Stretch Before a Workout
- Cool Down with Static Stretches
- Make Alternative Weights
- Stick to Natural and Non-Processed Foods
- Get a Good Night’s Sleep
- Place the Alarm Far Away
30 Healthy Hacks to Improve Your Lifestyle
1. Drink Water in the Morning
Always drink a glass of water when you wake up in the morning. This will help kickstart your body and organs after hours of sleep.
2. Have Some Flavor in Your Water
Easy health hacks like adding some fruit to flavor your drinking water can encourage you to drink some more.
3. Make a Fruit of Veggie Smoothie in the Morning
For extra nutrition, make smoothies or vegetable juices for breakfast. You can mix both fruits and vegetables in the same smoothie to add some flavor.
Choose veggies with a mild taste and pair them up with berries or tropical fruits.
4. Freeze the Fruits Overnight
Prepare the smoothie ingredients and freeze in baggies the night before so they’re ready to go in the blender in the morning.
5. Tie Your Keys to Your Shoelaces
Bring only the keys you need so they’re not too heavy.
If you don’t have pockets to hold your home keys when you go running, attach them to your shoelaces. Double-knot so they don’t come off.
6. Soothe Muscles with Epsom Salts
Soak in a bath with Epsom salts to soothe sore muscles after a workout.
Epsom Salt Definition: a natural mineral often used as a bath salt and has a number of health benefits like reducing swelling, helping the body recover from fatigue, and soothing sunburns.
7. Clean the House to Burn Calories
Do a bit of cleaning around the house each day to burn some calories. Carrying heavy items around the house to clean or dust can also improve your strength, but don’t force yourself.
8. Use the Park as an Outdoor Gym
Increase the intensity of your morning run by doing step ups and dips on a park bench.
9. Pour Protein Powder After Water
When mixing your protein shake, add the powder after the water so the powder doesn’t get stuck in the bottom of your shaker.
You can also melt the powder in some hot water to make sure everything is dissolved.
10. Meal Prep to Save Time
Meal prep so you always have a healthy meal option. It also saves you time and money!
One of the amazing health hacks in meal prepping is cooking in big batches and storing the leftovers for other meals. By eating homemade meals, you know exactly what’s in your food, and you can control proportions to better maintain weight.
11. Use Spices for Weight Loss
Add spices to your meals to boost your metabolism. There are a lot to choose from and most of these spices can also help with fat burning:
- Cayenne pepper
- Black pepper
12. Count Micro and Macronutrients
Count the micro and macronutrients in your food instead of counting calories to give you a better idea of what you’re actually eating.
Macronutrients Definition: fats, protein, and carbs in food which need to be consumed in large amounts to have a healthy diet.
Micronutrients Definition: trace amounts like calcium, vitamins, and other minerals needed in the body for growth and development.
13. Cut Back on Caffeine
Cut back on as much caffeine as you can because daily consumption can result in a form of addiction. It can get as bad as experiencing withdrawal symptoms when cutting off all caffeine from a diet.
Slowly cut down the amount of coffee in your diet to let your body get used to it.
14. Use a Foam Roller to Relax the Muscles
- maintain normal muscle length
- reduce soreness and pain
- aid in recovery
- increase range of motion
- break down scar tissue
- regulate blood flow
15. Do More Physical Activities
There are a lot of ways to be more active like playing a sport, walking your dog, or joining a fitness class. Joining a class with friends or family can also help motivate you to not miss any sessions.
16. Get More Sunshine
Get more sunshine to boost your mood. Enjoy some fresh air.
Make sure you’re getting vitamin D. The sun’s rays around 7-9am have the least amount of UV rays.
17. Check the Menu Before Going
When planning on eating out, check the restaurant’s online menu so you can plan beforehand to save time.
This also gives you the opportunity to check the nutritional value of the ingredients in their food. Not to mention, this can help you keep the meal order within the budget.
18. Store Healthy Snacks at Work
Have healthy snacks ready to take with you to work to lower the chances of you snacking on junk food.
19. Walk as Much as You Can
Drive less and walk more. If it’s within walking distance and you have time to spare, walk to your next destination to keep active and save on some gas money.
20. Pace Yourself During Meals
It’s important to give the body time to digest and send signals to your brain in case you’ve eaten enough. Wait a few minutes after a meal before deciding to get seconds.
21. Take Time to Relax
Take time to relax no matter how busy you get. Always try to do things that relax you after hours of hard work.
Just a few minutes of relaxation can give a number of health benefits:
- relaxed muscles
- regulated blood pressure and blood flow
- healthier respiration and heart rate
- decreased feelings of anxiety and depression
- better sleep
- boost in energy
- increased confidence
22. Enjoy Healthier Desserts
Choose a healthier dessert if you have to have dessert. Make a homemade dessert and try these health tips to make it nutritious:
- Desserts made of fruits and berries have a strong sweet taste so you won’t have to add in any sugars.
- Use bananas to make ice cream instead of dairy products and sugar.
- Replace milk chocolate with dark chocolate which has a lot more health benefits
- Instead of processed white flour, use whole wheat or almond flour.
- Use maple syrup or honey.
23. Get Help from a Trainer
Have a trainer or trainer plan to help you be consistent and see better results. They can also help optimize the fitness routine to suit your body weight and fitness goals.
Getting help from a dietician or nutritionist will also help improve your meal plan and diet.
RELATED: Why You Should Set Physical Health And Fitness Goals For 2019
24. Separate Wet and Dry Ingredients
If you’re packing a salad for lunch, pack the wet and dry ingredients separately. This can keep the salad ingredients fresh until you assemble them for lunch.
25. Stretch Before a Workout
Do dynamic stretches before your workout to prevent injury and allow the body to move with better flexibility.
Dynamic Stretches Definition: a form of stretching exercises where you continuously move the body in a range of motions to loosen up the muscles instead of just holding a stretch.
26. Cool Down with Static Stretches
Do static stretches after your workout when your muscles are already warm. Holding these stretches will help your muscles:
- prevent cramping and injuries
- boost ranges of motion
- decrease chances of delayed-onset muscle soreness
27. Make Alternative Weights
If you don’t have weights at home, put some cans or bottles of water in a bag and use that for weights.
28. Stick to Natural and Non-Processed Foods
Reduce bloating by sticking to the most natural and non-processed food available like fresh fruit, vegetables, nuts, and legumes.
29. Get a Good Night’s Sleep
Get a good night’s sleep to avoid sleep deprivation. Stay away from the blue lights on your tablets and phones an hour before you go to bed.
30. Place the Alarm Far Away
Place your alarm clock away from the bed and arm’s reach so you actually have to get up when it goes off in the morning.
There are also apps available that require you to solve a math problem or take a picture of an object outside to turn off the alarm. These can kickstart your brain and your body so there is less chance of sleeping through the alarm.
The video below demonstrates the healthy hacks to start your day strong. Check it out and feel free to share with someone who needs it:
Healthy hacks are simple changes in your lifestyle that will greatly benefit your health for a long time. Doing these health tips regularly will turn them into effortless habits you enjoy doing.
What other healthy hacks do you do to improve your lifestyle? Share them with us in the comments section below!
Up Next: 9 Healthy Eating Tips For A More Vibrant You This Year