Taking collagen supplements won’t just benefit your skin. It has positive effects on your overall health, too!
RELATED: What Is Collagen Synthesis And How Can It Be Increased?
In this article:
- Promote Skin Elasticity and Smoothness
- Reduce Cellulite and Stretch Marks
- Prevent Bone Loss
- Relieve Knee and Joint Pain
- Promote Healthy Hair Growth
- Prevent Brittle, Broken Nails
- Improve Quality of Sleep
- Improve Digestion
- Help in Weight Loss
9 Reasons You Should Take Collagen Supplements Now
1. Promote Skin Elasticity and Smoothness
As we age, the collagen production in our body slows down. Without this special protein, the skin is unable to keep its elasticity, resulting in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Taking collagen supplements promotes firmness and tightness within the skin’s deepest layers, giving you supple and wrinkle-free skin.
2. Reduce Cellulite and Stretch Marks
Cellulite and stretch marks appear on the body during weight gain. The rapid growth of the body forces the skin to stretch, leaving scars and dimples.
A common question persists regarding these marks: Do they disappear permanently? Unfortunately, cellulite and stretch marks fade a little over time, but they never fully disappear.
Taking collagen supplements can heal new stretch marks, reducing the appearance of possible scars. The firming properties of collagen “glue” the skin together to withstand any tearing or scarring, so don’t lose hope.
3. Prevent Bone Loss
Studies show that collagen supplements actually help in preventing osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. Bones are partially made of collagen so the lack thereof may result in weaker bone structures and eventual bone loss.
Collagen supplements also help maintain new bone growth while increasing bone mineral density. So apart from drinking lots of water, make sure to stock up on collagen drinks, too!
4. Relieve Knee and Joint Pain
As previously mentioned, collagen supplements help prevent osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis is the most common cause of joint pain and stiffness.
With collagen playing a major role in the connective tissues of the body, this protein provides elasticity and support to the joints, tendons, and ligaments. It also makes the joints more flexible through the regeneration of cartilage.
5. Promote Healthy Hair Growth
Collagen helps combat all sorts of problems related to hair growth: thinning hair, brittle hair strands, and dry scalp. With collagen supplements, the body is able to replenish and replace hair that’s fallen out, giving you thick and luscious locks.
Along with your healthy mane, your scalp will also become more moisturized.
RELATED: Everything You Need To Know About Collagen Peptides
6. Prevent Brittle, Broken Nails
Apart from keratin, collagen is also a major component in the growth of your nails. This protein, which is also present in the nail bed, makes the nails stronger and less brittle.
Taking collagen supplements not only prevents nails from breaking but also improves the appearance of the nails.
7. Improve Quality of Sleep
The benefits of collagen go beyond beauty. Collagen can also improve the quality of sleep, thanks to the presence of glycine.
It’s best to take collagen supplements before going to bed to guarantee a good rest. Consume about three grams of glycine for an easier time falling asleep.
The quality of sleep not only improves, but collagen supplement reviews also claim the people who take them feel fully-rested upon waking up.
8. Improve Digestion
Collagen supplements help smooth the flow of digestion and minimize the symptoms of a leaky gut.
What is leaky gut? The “leaky gut syndrome” is a condition involving leakages of toxins and bacteria in the bloodstream due to the cracks or holes in the lining of the gut.
With collagen, the structural integrity of the intestines improves and prevents inflammation. Digestive imbalances are also less likely to occur when you take collagen supplements.
9. Help in Weight Loss
Taking collagen supplements makes you feel full and satiated, suppressing your appetite and hunger. Collagen intake also helps boost metabolism, allowing the body to burn more calories.
You can also maintain your muscle mass since collagen is a master protein, a nutrient necessary in building muscle.
Now that you know the benefits of collagen supplements, here are some things to keep in mind before you start taking them:
- Do collagen supplements work? Yes, collagen supplements do work to keep your body supplied with enough collagen. Your body recognizes these as sources of protein, the same way it does with meat, poultry, etc.
- How long does it take for collagen supplements to work? For physical outcomes, these begin to work a month after continuous use. Results become more noticeable over the next few months.
- What are some of the best collagen supplements? There are many types of collagen supplements on the market. There are those that increase collagen synthesis and decreases inflammation while repairing the connective tissues in the body. For those who want healthy hair, skin, nails, and joints, peptide collagen supplements are the way to go.
Find out more amazing benefits of collagen in this video from Christopher Walker:
Together with a balanced diet, collagen supplements work wonders on the body and its functions. They promote skin elasticity, healthy hair growth, flexible joints, and smooth digestion.
Along with the consumption of these, it is important to include exercise to further maximize the health benefits of collagen.
Do you take collagen supplements? What are the effects you’ve noticed? Share your experience in the comments section below!
- How To Increase Bone Density | 11 Ways To Improve Your Bone Health
- The Importance Of Hydration: 9 Tips To Stay Hydrated
- How To Use Essential Oils To Benefit Different Parts Of Your Body [INFOGRAPHIC]